Here is your first look at my Lucia Lucas documentary, profiling her historic performance as Don Giovanni in the 2019 Tulsa Opera production.
Ms. Lucas and the process of crafting the production is subject of my new film The Sound of Identity, formerly known as Lucia's Voice, the first transgender singer to have a leading role in an Operatic production.
A sampling of international news stories include:
- The New York Times: Transgender Opera singers find their voice
- The Huffington Post: Transgender Opera Singer Lucia Lucas Makes US Debut In ‘Don Giovanni’
- National Public Radio: 'They Know That I'm The Real Deal': Transgender Baritone Makes Opera History
- The Guardian: 'This opens doors': Trans woman to play Don Giovanni in a first for US opera
- ClassicFM: Transgender baritone makes US debut in Don Giovanni
- Public Radio International: This transgender opera says the 'hype' should be on her voice, not her transgender identity
- NBC News: Transgender opera singer to make U.S. history — in Oklahoma
As the weekend concludes, I am completing the rough edit of the film.
Stay tuned to the blog, as I will take you through the post-production and release process as we progress into the next few months.
Lucia's Voice features Ms. Lucas, prolific composer and Tulsa Opera artistic director Tobias Picker, The New York Times journalist Michael Cooper, director Denni Sayers, conductor Andreas Cladera, amongst other members of the cast and production crew.